The Hangfire Journal

Discussions and essays on Gun Control, Shooting, Firearms, all things Political, matters of Science or Mechanics (My motto: If it ain't broke, Fix it till it is!), Philosophical musings and perhaps most important, what ever strikes my funny bone.

Name:
Location: Kennewick, WA, United States

Monday, December 20, 2004

Links

I thought I should list a few links to some of my favorite web sites. Eventually I may even include links to web sites of organizations with which I disagree just to provide some balance.

First and foremost is a link to the National Rifle Association The NRA is a good place to start if you have any questions about gun control or firearms safety or any other aspect of the shooting sports. These guys are the experts on anything related to guns. While the NRA covers all aspects of shooting including political activities, other organizations specialize in specific aspects and I will list a few here and add to this list from time to time.

If you are interested in Cowboy Action Shooting the site to check out is the Single Action Shooting Society's home page. Cowboy Action Shooting is a shooting sport that requires shooters to use firearms from the mid to late 1800's and to dress in clothing appropriate to the same period. Shooters are also required to use an alias out of the old west. The game is one of speed and accuracy but which maintains a very non-competive atmosphere that makes it a lot of fun for those shooters who are not at the top of the game (most of us). Check it out but be prepared to get hooked. There are many local clubs throughout the United States and indeed the rest of the world that are devoted to this sport. For an example check out the Rattlesnake Gulch Rangers These guys are having a lot of fun.

Another area that I really enjoy is motorcycling and specifically sidecaring. I am often asked by friends why in the world I would want to hang a sidecar on my bike and screw up the handling. The only response I can make is that while it does indeed change the handling of the motorcycle (leaners not withstanding), it changes it in a way that makes the machine much more challenging to ride. Sidecar rigs are asymmetric in nature. They handle entirely differently when turning towards the sidecar (to the right in the U.S.) than when turning away from the sidecar. Unlike a solo motorcycle which leans into a curve, sidecar outfits want to lean away from the curve in much the same manner as an automobile does. This means when turning towards the sidecar, the sidecar wants to rise into the air and in fact flying the sidecar a popular stunt among sidecar pilots. On the other hand, when turning away from the sidecar, the bike wants to rise but due to its weight the sidecar wheel will break traction and the outfit will skid around the turn. To find out more check out the United Sidecar Association which is the largest national group in the United States. Another good site for info about sidecars is the Fantasy Sidecar World Wide Links page. When it comes to the motorcyles used to pull a sidecar virtually every motorcycle type ever made has been used at one time or another somewhere in the world to pull a chair. I currently have a Yamaha XS650D with a Velorex sidecar attached. It is undergoing one of its periodic restorations. My wife and I took this outfit on our honeymoon many years ago. It was a 2000+ mile journey to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and we have a warm spot in our hearts for this outfit. While other outfits have come and gone we have held onto this one and will probably keep it as long as we are able to ride. For more info about the XS650 check out the XS650 Garage

One last area of interest to me I want to mention today is Astronomy. I am about half way through a graduate program working towards my Master of Science in Astronomy. Unfortuately finances have put a temporary halt to my studies but if I find suitable employment (my wife wants me to go back to work to get the house paid off so she can retire as soon as she turns 60) I will return to my studies. I am what is called a place bound student so am unable to move near a college offering an astronomy program. My wife had taken some computer based courses through Washington State University while working towards her degree (Go Cougs!) so I decided to search the internet to see if there were any colleges courses in astronomy that could be taken online. I discovered a school in Austrailia that offered an complete program online. I have spent about three and half years working towards my masters thru Swinburne University of Technology near Melborne. Check it out. I have about three years left to go (I only take one class per semester as I am doing this for fun so can't see overloading myself).

This list of links is a work in process and I will add additional links to the areas of interest already discussed as well as new areas. Please feel free to post any links you think might be interesting.

NEW LINKS

U.S. Senate - Write your Senators. Please be aware that their staff will handle the letter. be courteous and give the staff credit (e.g. ask your Senator to have his staff look into your concern). Ask for a positive response.

U. S. House of Representatives - Write your Representative. Please be aware that their staff will handle your letter. Be courteous and give the staff credit (e.g. ask your representative to have his staff look into your concern). Ask for a positive response.

Social Security Administration

Neal Boortz




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home